City of Oil


The Code Administration Department regulates the construction, demolition and occupancy of all buildings and structures within the City of Oil City. A Building Permit is a license that grants legal permission to start construction of a building project. Building Permtis allow for the enforcement of the codes which the City of Oil City has adopted as law. By obtaining a Building Permit you are notifying the Building Code Official that you are constructing, remodeling, or repairing your building. The following work requires a building permit:

  • Building or installing a garage, carport, 4 or more steps, accessory building, swimming pool, or retaining wall greater than 4 feet high

  • Cutting away any wall, partition or portion thereof, removal or cutting of any structure beam or loadbearing support, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements

  • Replacing or repairing a roof, porch, foundation or siding

  • Replacing or installing windows (R-Value and U-Rating must be .35 or below, cut sheet from window is required)

  • Demolishing any structure or part of a structure that may affect the existing building

  • Construction of any new type of building

  • Prefabricated structures and temporary buildings

  • Water and Sewer Line replacement or repair

A permit is not required for painting and minor interior cosmetic repair. Any questions about whether or not a permit is required, please contact the office.


Commercial construction projects are a little different than residential projects. Before obtaining a building permit, three (3)complete sets of construction documents and specifications must be submitted to the Building Code Official, each set bearing the seal of a registered design professional. Most major projects require a review process by other City Departments as well. After the review process is final, the Building Permit will be issued and inspections arranged.


In order to better serve you, we ask that requests for inspections be made 24 hours in advance.


Zoning is required for the following projects:

  • New construction activity

  • New signage

  • In home business

  • General land use questions

Any questions about whether Zoning is required, please contact Rick Cook at (814) 678-3016.